Tide is a not-for-profit, community-driven foundation charged with the stewardship and mass adoption of the Tide protocol.
The Tide foundation vision extends beyond the Marketing Singularity point, to a reality where an individual's sovereignty over their privacy extends beyond data – to their mindshare. Offering control and remuneration for not only people’s information, but also their attention and intentions. Offering businesses the ability to not just coopete and profit over their audience insights, but to engage directly with that audience intentions, in the most contextual, consensual and timely fashion.
- Sovereignty: Individuals are the rightful owners of their personal data, and should have ultimate discretion over its use.
- Consumer value: If an individual provides their personal data and gives permission to be identified, then any monetization opportunities that arise through those business insights or value-adds should be shared proportionately with that person.
- Business value: Conversely, the data insights generated by businesses through their interactions with their customers is value that is generated by those businesses, who are therefore entitled to benefit from them.
- Ethical commerce: Commerce occuring in an economy that is driven by permissioned and compliant access to personal data. Organizations operating in this environment have the ability to unlock and leverage the power of their unique data insights.
- Trust: By means of absolute trustlessness:
- Transparency: Open source software that is publicly available and easily accessible.
- Integrity: When we can’t use mathematics to guarantee integrity, we act as though we are programmed to do so.
- Decentralization: No data is held by, or accessible by, any other parties in the chain. Only the source and target parties have visibility.
- Immutability: Once a transaction is initiated, everything about it is stamped and recorded in perpetuity.
- Accountability: Actions of entities and individuals who data share are open to scrutiny and feedback.
- Independence: Broad stakeholder community management, free from commercial or political interests, in order to provide infrastructure that benefits everyone in the value chain.
- Stability and scalability: The design of the growth engine and the open sourced nature of the protocol has future proofed the infrastructure. No single failure, entity or process can hinder effectiveness.
- Mainstream: Accessibility and usability for all stakeholders, agnostic to geography, culture, language and means.
- Ensure personal data is fully secured and that value is rightfully attributed.
- Cooperate with industry, government and stakeholders to form strategic partnerships that grow the economy in accordance with the established principles.
- Educate and promote the Personal Data Economy to the wider community. Encourage new ideas and development on top of the open source protocol.
- Provide guidance to legislators who have an objective of protecting consumer privacy, alongside commercial considerations.
- Foster innovation and engage with the development community to continually build upon the foundation technology. This will improve ease of adoption and utility for all stakeholders and ensure future viability.
- Govern the Personal Data Economy infrastructure (i.e. the Tide protocol).